This year the El Dorado Beekeepers is offering club members the choice of both nucs and package bees.
A nucleus hive (nuc) consists of five deep frames with honeycomb and a newly established colony. It includes a newly mated queen, all stages of brood, and frames with honey and pollen. Nucs build up more quickly than packages and are the easiest way for beginners to establish new hives.
Package bees are an artificial swarm containing 2-3 lbs of shook bees, plus a newly mated, caged queen.
Golden West Apiaries
Eric and Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
- 5 deep wooden frames with built-out honeycomb
- sold in ‘Jester EZ Nuc’ corrugated plastic reusable boxes
- recently mated Italian queen, laying and tested
- brood in all stages
- frames with honey and pollen
Olivarez Honey Bees
- 3 lbs of bees
- newly mated Italian queen